The Experts Mission
Subject matter experts from industry or academia VIRTUALLY connect with students in the classroom and connect current lesson plans and curricula in a real-world environment. This is a key role in creating Florida's future workforce to support our growing high-tech economy. Take 30 seconds of you time to listen to a message from Paul Sohl, CEO of the Florida High Tech Corridor on why volunteering as an expert is so important.
Become an Expert
How Live Sessions Work
- A stemCONNECT Coordinator will work with your schedule to arrange a date that also works with the classroom. You will receive an email with event details and a calendar invite.
- Join a quick tech-check to ensure audio, video, and internet connection are working properly to avoid technical issues the day of the actual session. In addition, stemCONNECT will help ensure your classroom is set up for optima viewing. Prior to STEM session you can check to ensure that you will not have any issues when joining session, View Quick Start Guide.
- Present! A stemCONNECT Coordinator will introduce you to the teacher's class and monitor the entire session in the background.
- Computer (Laptop or Tablet)
- High-Speed Internet
- Webcam (Built-in or External)
- Microphone (Built-in or External)
- Check if your computer is GoToWebinar compatible. Check Compatibility.
Tips for a Successful Presentation
- Who are You? Share your name and the organization you work with. Describe the work that happens at your place of business.
- What's Your Background: Share your educational and work background and the journey that you took to achieve your goals.
- Why is it important: Share the skills needed for the topic or details that people generally want to know about your industry.
- Know Your Audience: Note the age group you are speaking to and tailor your talk and topic to the grade level being addressed.
- Make it Visual: Graphics like presentations, videos, lab tours, equipment, screen sharing, etc..can help to keep students engaged during the session.
- Engage: Ask questions, sessions are interactive, students have interactive tools like questions, polls, and chat features to help introduce new ideas during the conversation.
- Ask for Help: Concerned with how you will connect and present? Talk to our team, we want to help ensure your presentation is successful for you and the class!